Gervonta Davis apparently isn’t preparing for the biggest fight of his career under the auspices of his former promoter as he initially said he would.
Barely a week after Balitmore’s Davis informed BoxingScene.com that he would be staging his training camp for his April 22 Pay-Per-View showdown against Ryan Garcia at the Mayweather Boxing Club—the eponymous boxing gym owned by Hall of Famer Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Davis’ old promoter—the heavy hitter has now suggested that is no longer the case.
And it has to do with Mayweather himself, according to Davis.
Goaded by Garcia during a twitter spat on Tuesday, Davis (28-0, 26 KOs) divulged that Mayweather banned the southpaw star from using his facilities.
“What? That Floyd’s petty ass said I couldn’t use his gym anymore. I don’t give a f—!” Davis wrote in a now deleted tweet.
Davis parted ways with Mayweather’s promotional company, Mayweather Promotions, after notching a sixth-round knockout of Rolando Romero last May, a development that both Davis and Mayweather had insisted was rendered on amicable terms. And while Davis had been promoted for the majority of his professional career by Mayweather, the two have famously sniped at each other over the years, with Davis often posting statements on his social media—some cryptic, some not so cryptic—taking aim at his well-known backer. Most of Davis’ issues with Mayweather have seemed to stem from his feeling that Mayweather tries to steal his thunder.
Calvin Ford, the trainer of Davis, also approved Davis’ initial decision to train out of Mayweather’s gym, telling BoxingScene.com’s Manouk Akopyan, “We like Mayweather’s gym. Tank has said he feels back at home. That feeling of being in Vegas in that gym is calming for him.”
Davis and Garcia will take on each other in a highly anticipated 12-round, 136-pound bout at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Showtime Pay-Per-View.