Puerto Rico’s McWilliams Arroyo will be back in the ring on December 7 at the Pedrín Zorrilla Coliseite in San Juan.
Arroyo got tired of waiting around for another year looking for the opportunity to fight for a world title in the flyweight division where in 2016 he catapulted his name against Román “Chocolatito” González and got his last two victories.
The 33-year-old boxer, who has a record of 19-4 and 14KOs, has decided to change strategy for his next fight on December 7.
Arroyo will return at 115 pounds to face Dominican Juan Gabriel Medina (11-3, 10KO’s) for the vacant Latin World Boxing Organization (WBO) championship in a clash that will be presented by Miguel Cotto Promotions.
“I will gain weight to 115 pounds. I know I’m a little stronger there and I don’t have to sacrifice so much to lose weight. Let’s see if we achieve the goal of being a world champion in that weight,” Arroyo told EL VOCERO .
Arroyo, who comes back from a unanimous decision victory in June over Nicaragua’s Carlos Buitrago, has already had several fights in that weight.
One of them was against Mexico’s Carlos Cuadras in a fight that took place last year at the Inglewood Forum, where the Puerto Rican fighter won the silver title of the World Boxing Council (WBC) by majority decision. The other took place months later on the same stage, against world champion Kazuto Ioka, against whom he lost by unanimous decision.
“I was waiting for the fight between (Kosei) Tanaka and“ Bomba ”González but one year passed and I never fought for the 112-pound title. I will not wait around for another year while making that weight. It is too difficult and another year making that weight is going to be very uphill. To wait another year, I prefer to gain weight and get used to 115 pounds where I will be more comfortable,” said Arroyo.